Der Treffpunkt für den Phantastischen Modellbau

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde

Aktuelle Zeit: 23.01.2018, 15:11

Autor Nachricht
 Betreff des Beitrags: Understanding light by Alex Castro
BeitragVerfasst: 02.12.2007, 22:20 
Monster-Lehrling

Hi everyone,

I just posted this on my website in my "Tips and Techniques" section, & thought I would share with the forum as well.

In painting miniatures there are two systems for light sources. In fixed light system the light is painted in while the catch light system uses an external light source. Example: some painters paint a white spot on the eyes for direction of light source and a permanent highlight.

I prefer to have the natural light produce the highlight and therefore use the catch light system more often. Both systems work and it boils down to personal preferences.

Ecstasy

Bild Bild
Note the soft shadows and reflected tones on her skin and the cast shadow created by her hair. This black and white picture makes easier to see the break-down of the tones and shadows.

Note the soft shadows and reflected tones on her skin and the cast shadow created by her hair.
1/4 Scale, sculptured by Steve West, from Cellarcast
One piece resin statue figure/base, Painted by Alex Castro

On your Figures /Statues you need to establish light sources.While painting / photographing as well as finished display, I use “true” color bulbs in conjunction with fluorescent lighting, which brings out the color pigment. This provides a consistent view of colors. With this combination you get consistency in color whether the figure is viewed outside or inside.

VERILUX BULBS http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discount-art-supplies/online/4158/art-supplies/5

CHROMALUX FULL SPECTRUM BULBS http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discount-art-supplies/online/5291/art-supplies/5

Light Source is the manipulation of an external source, projected on the surface of the figure, not permanently painted on the miniature itself. This allows the artist to suggest the best illumination for creating depth.

The light source is divided into two areas: middle tone, where the color of the object is most apparent; and the highlight which is the brightest section in the area of the middle tone. The highlight is closer to the light and distinctly lighter than the middle tone.

The area turned away from the light is the shadow area and is also divided into two tones.
Shadow accent and reflected tone. Shadow accent is next to the middle tone.

The reflected tone is light that bounces off other objects or off the background and back to the subject. It is important to remember that reflected light is never as bright as the areas in the light.

Cast Shadow is a shadow cast by one form or another. It is darkest where it abuts the object that casts the shadow. As the cast shadow recedes from the object, the tone grows paler, softer and more diffused. The darkest tone in the cast shadow is comparable to the shadow accent, while the paler tone would be comparable to the reflected light.

Written by Alex Castro (Trismegistus)

Excerpts from The Art of Painting Miniatures: Faces & Figures by Alex Castro, published by Compendium Publisher, Eng.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 03.12.2007, 07:41 
Monster-Mythos

thats true for your paintingstyle or paintingchoice.
but what will happend when you go to an exhibition into a room where no daylilght.
your figure will look in an other style.
I see it at a show in germany, where all the figures from the masters shown with a grayish shades. because there where daylight there.
I hope you understand a littlebit what i mean.

Gast

Jener Fremdling(lat.hospes, von der Sanskritz-Wurzel ghas = essen) , der einst als Feind den Göttern geopfert wurde.

Mit zunehmender Verfeinerung der Sitten wurde er Mit-Essser oder vom Zubereitenden Gewerbe bloß Ausgenommener.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 03.12.2007, 15:57 
Monster-Lehrling

Stephan hat geschrieben:
thats true for your paintingstyle or paintingchoice.
but what will happend when you go to an exhibition into a room where no daylilght.
your figure will look in an other style.
I see it at a show in germany, where all the figures from the masters shown with a grayish shades. because there where daylight there.
I hope you understand a littlebit what i mean.

-Stephen,

Obviously , you can’t paint for every environment . However, for my style of painting and photography this works for me.

If you are going to shows that won't allow you to use your own lamps to properly display your masterpiece , then you must prepare accordingly. Some shows allow you to take your own lighting. You must do what works for you.

i don’t participate in shows anymore . I have learned to compete against myself over the years and I fee l it has made me a better artist .

My concern is the photography and that my collectors are pleased upon seeing my work and displaying it in their homes or work place.

I endeavor to bring out the best color and image possible in my painted figures.

Thanks

Alex

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 03.12.2007, 15:59 
Monster-Mythos

:shock: :shock: cool wkr stefan

Betreff des Beitrags: "Classic Portrait" light setup by Alex Castro
BeitragVerfasst: 03.12.2007, 19:07 
Monster-Lehrling

Hi,
I thought I might add another few line on lighting. As far as placement, the old masters devised a system of lighting for portraits; slightly in front but not intense enough to cause dark shadows from above. It should be on a 90 degree angle mostly from the right side. This was called the "Classic Portrait" light setup. It gave at that time the best illumination for creating depth and form.

Keep in mind that moving the light sourse to the front of the figure to produce a larger area of light gives you more color but also makes viewing three-dimensional forms and detail more difficult. Very rarely would I ever attempt to display full light on a figure. In fact, I often use a diffuser or just a plane piece of white paper over the light source. This remove harsh glares spots on the figures.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate you comments and remarks. Its not difficult to share when you love what you're doing!

Alex (Trismegistus)

"The Old Spaniard"

Bild
The old Spaniard from La Bas . Oil on canvas 3' x 1 1/2' Painted by Alex Castro

Note the interplay with light and dark areas as well as the way the light hits the facial planes and wrinkles of the face.

This was the work I was doing 30 years ago before I embarked on a figure statute painting career.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 04.12.2007, 20:31 
Monster-Mythos

I always loved the thinking about how and why different light reflects on a figure and how shadows and lights flow over it.

Being a painter of small scale figures, I went over to the so-called "overhead lightning" technique insted of the "general lightning", because with the overhead light, you can make a lot more details stand out and be visible than with the general lightning, where you are using a light source that comes from all overall.

When viewing some work of Danilo Cartaci or Doug Cohen one can see how overhead lightning (means a fictional light source above the miniature and create different cast shadows and lights)works. It is adequat to the stop sign rule technique Sheperd Paine has done in his fabulous paint ups and done now by Figure Painter Bill Horan. But it is more or less the same than the overhead lightning technique.

Alex, love to discuss these themes with you!

Frank

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 04.12.2007, 21:00 
Monster-Lehrling

Frank hat geschrieben:
I always loved the thinking about how and why different light reflects on a figure and how shadows and lights flow over it.

Being a painter of small scale figures, I went over to the so-called "overhead lightning" technique insted of the "general lightning", because with the overhead light, you can make a lot more details stand out and be visible than with the general lightning, where you are using a light source that comes from all overall.

When viewing some work of Danilo Cartaci or Doug Cohen one can see how overhead lightning (means a fictional light source above the miniature and create different cast shadows and lights)works. It is adequat to the stop sign rule technique Sheperd Paine has done in his fabulous paint ups and done now by Figure Painter Bill Horan. But it is more or less the same than the overhead lightning technique.

Alex, love to discuss these themes with you!

Frank

Frank,
I recently added a lot of new material to my website check out the “Concepts section “and
the “Tip and Techniques section “, some of the concepts may sound strange and different but I assure you they do work!

However I think you would enjoy reading them.

Alex

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 04.12.2007, 21:16 
Monster-Mythos

Alex, call me a Nerd, but where can I find the link to your site?

Frank

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 04.12.2007, 21:20 
Monster-Lehrling

Frank hat geschrieben:
Alex, call me a Nerd, but where can I find the link to your site?

Frank

Frank,

Please forgive me for not posting it!!
Alex

http://alexcastro.50webs.com/

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 06.12.2007, 19:24 
Monster-Mythos

Alex, this looks very very interesting! As soon I have a bit sparetime, I will read it detailed and I guess, there is many to discuss!

Frank

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde