Classic Monsters Forum

Der Treffpunkt für den Phantastischen Modellbau

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde

Aktuelle Zeit: 22.01.2018, 07:37

Ein neues Thema erstellen Auf das Thema antworten  [ 30 Beiträge ]  Gehe zu Seite Vorherige  1, 2
Autor Nachricht
 Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 15.12.2007, 17:31 
Auserwähltes Monster

Absolutely awesome work!!! :supz:
The colours are beautiful :shock: :D

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 15.12.2007, 17:32 
Monster-Mythos

you have a blue hand :mrgreen: great stuff .wkr stefan

Betreff des Beitrags: Frazetta's "Snow Giants" In my hands!
BeitragVerfasst: 19.12.2007, 13:35 
Monster-Lehrling

Thanks everyone,

As you can see in these scale pictures, Conan is alive and well as are the two giants. He is almost completed. The sword, left arm and shield will be done shortly. I will also go around and paint the hair on his the back of his arms and legs just below the knees.

The issue with the sword is to make it look worn but at the same time sharp, plus the blood effect The shield not only must give the illusion of mass and density but must give the appearance of looking solid and heavy, worn and battered.

A word on reference material. The front of this piece is not shown in the Frazetta painting of the Snow Giants. This was not an issue since he is identical to the "Conan the Conqueror " painting that shows the front view of Conan.
That being said, many times I have seen the belt painted as steel. In my opinion it's incorrect and not very realistic. I bet this large belt made of steel around your waist would weight a ton, too much even for Conan. If you look closely, this is "Berserker" off his horse fighting the snow giants!

The leather belt was painted with Testors Enamel leather paint and dry brushed with wood paint also from Testors.

Enjoy,

Alex (Trismegistus)

Frazetta's "Snow Giants"
Bild
Note a well painted figure should look like it's ready to jump out of your hands!

This piece was airbrushed with IWATA airbrush's, hand brush used were Series # 7 , Kolinsky sable ,brushes from Windsor & Newton. Paints used were Tamiya acrylics and Testors enamels.

Bild
Frazetta's "Snow Giants" 1/8 -1/9 scale resin from ReelArts Studios, Sculpted by Tony Cipriano, Work in progress by Alex Castro , Private Collector

Note the scale of this piece and yes he has an attitude. Note the sinister stare, and the tan skin tone. You can also see the hair in his arm pit!

Note that while I'm repainting the piece, I will be showing a comparison with the factory job. This is no way means that I'm undermining the factory's work. I will be illustrating my style and details that go into a repaint.

Betreff des Beitrags: Conan Extreme close-up
BeitragVerfasst: 20.12.2007, 04:08 
Monster-Lehrling

Hi everyone,

Here is an extreme close-up and a different side view of Conan .

Enjoy,

Alex (Trismegistus)

Frazetta's "Snow Giants"
Bild
Extreme close-up, Note the tons of character Tony Cipriano sculpted in to this piece and the battered helmet effect.

Bild

Side view close to the view in the painting of the Snow Giants by Frazetta.

Frazetta's "Snow Giants" 1/8 -1/9 scale resin from ReelArts Studios, Sculpted by Tony Cipriano, Work in progress by Alex Castro , Private Collector

Note that while I'm repainting the piece, I will be showing a comparison with the factory job. This is no way means that I'm undermining the factory's work. I will be illustrating my style and details that go into a repaint.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 23.12.2007, 22:26 
Monster-Meister

this is really stunning...I hope my conan will come out only half as good as you do!!!!

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 24.12.2007, 13:14 
Monster-Mythos

:shock: he looks very good . happy chrismas stefan

Betreff des Beitrags: Holiday greetings from Alex Castro
BeitragVerfasst: 24.12.2007, 13:22 
Monster-Lehrling

Dear Friends,

I would like to thank you for your support and uplifting comments you have made throughout the year.

I wish you and your family a healthy and prosperous new year.

Thanks

Alex (Trismegistus)

P.S. My personal interview is in the December issue #24 of 'Figure International Magazine from Andrea Press Spain is currently available at news and magazine stands.
Bild

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 24.12.2007, 13:45 
Monster-Meister

cool...I really look forward to receive it...But I dunno if the german and the english issue include the same articels....

Betreff des Beitrags: The Snow Giants. Shield and Sword.
BeitragVerfasst: 29.12.2007, 00:48 
Monster-Lehrling

Hi Everyone,

Hope everyone is enjoying the holidays. As for me, it's back to work.

The Snow Giants are 75% complete, one more giant to go. I will be breaking away from the giants to work on "Conan the Barbarian" piece which is also about 75%
completed as well. This Conan piece will be on the cover of the new fantasy magazine. As soon as the details are clearer and I finish it off, I'll let every one know.

The Snow Giants is an action piece. The very nature of action implies a cause and effect. As a painter, I have to be conscious of this and exploit it at every opportunity. Two observations on this piece. The first one is that the shield could have been higher and closer to his face as in the original painting. To bring the shield higher and closer I would have had to remove material and re-key the arm. I decided not to do this since this might have meant heavy modifications and re-keying the arm. The second one is that the blood is heavily molded onto the sword. I would had preferred that the blood not be molded onto the tip of the sword. To remove the blood it would have meant grinding it off and redoing the sword. I chose to work with the sword the way it is.

In reference to the blood, I decided to mix my own red rather than painting it with clear dark red for two reasons. The first was to bring it closer to the painting and the second is an artistic reason. I wanted to off set the cooler colors of whites and blues and introduce a warmer tone to balance the composition a little more, focus the viewer's attention on the sword's tip and blood and more importantly, the action--the swing!

Enjoy,

Alex (Trismegistus)

Frazetta's "Snow Giants"
Bild

Note the drop of blood on the Snow Giant's leg and the two little blood drops on the snow. I used Andréa's snow which works excellently with the paints and it has a very nice crystal effect at certain angles.

Please note that while I'm repainting the piece, I will be showing a comparison with the factory job. This is no way means that I'm undermining the factory's work. I will be illustrating my style and details that go into a repaint.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 29.12.2007, 03:29 
Monster-Mythos

cool . wkr stefan

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 31.12.2007, 14:30 
Monster-Mythos

Your Museum Quality Work rocks like hell! The SNOW GIANTS came out as perfect as I had hoped, but the Conan Warrior ist more than fantastic!The extreme Close Up looks like taken from a painting; your special painting technique brings this man to life in three dimensions. Stunning and mindblowing!

Hope, to get my FIGURE INTERNATIONAL as soon as possible!!

Al the best for you, Alex, and I cannot wait to see what you will show us in the coming months!!

Frank

Betreff des Beitrags: Prosperous and a happy new year!
BeitragVerfasst: 01.01.2008, 03:35 
Monster-Lehrling

Hi everyone,

I would like to take this opportunity to tell you all, how honored and blessed I am to be able to contribute and share my works in progress on this forum. Over the years, hearing your enthusiasm, remarks and comments, the teacher in me has also become the student. Teaching, for me, is a learning process since I’ve also learned from your questions and comments and I have affirmed on a deeper level the processes and techniques that have worked for me in what is not only my passion but a great fine art form that I love. Thank you.

Wishing each and everyone on this forum a prosperous and a happy new year!

Alex (Trismegistus)

Frazetta's "Snow Giants"

Bild

Please note that while I'm repainting the piece, I will be showing a comparison with the factory job. This is no way means that I'm undermining the factory's work. I will be illustrating my style and details that go into a repaint.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 01.01.2008, 12:03 
Monster-Mythos

Alex, the same for me! Our passion is a never ending learning process, and teaching each other the art of building and painting is part of it!

A happy and healthy New Year for you too, my friend!

Frank

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 02.02.2008, 04:03 
Monster-Lehrling

Frank hat geschrieben:
Alex, the same for me! Our passion is a never ending learning process, and teaching each other the art of building and painting is part of it!

A happy and healthy New Year for you too, my friend!

Frank

Thanks Frank,,

This is the last giant. I decided to paint his beard a little blonder then the other giants. I also changed the angle of the ax a little more in line with the original Frazetta painting. I also found it interesting how this giant's presence adds a dynamic dimension to the entire piece and how nicely populated the base looks when they are all together.

I hope to have this piece completed within the next few days.

So stay tuned.

Best regards,

Alex (Trismegistus)

[color="indigo"]Frazetta's "Snow Giants" [/color]

Bild

Bild

Betreff des Beitrags: The Snow Giants are almost completed.
BeitragVerfasst: 07.02.2008, 17:32 
Monster-Lehrling

Hi everyone,

The Snow Giants are almost completed. When I'm about to complete a piece, I liike to stay away from it, so when I come back, I look at it with fresh eyes and tweak as necessary.

I will be ordering a custom marble base for this pieces. Visit my website to see postings of the side and back views, as well as close-ups.

It’s always easy to create great art when you have the support of great folks. Thank you so much for your support and wonderful comments. I also like to thank the Franetta family for their support, ReelArt Studio's Michael Hudson for having the insight to have this piece produced in 3D and special thanks to Tony Cipriano for this work of art.

Enjoy,

Best,

Alex (Trismegistus)

Frazetta's "Snow Giants"

Bild

Ein neues Thema erstellen Auf das Thema antworten  [ 30 Beiträge ]  Gehe zu Seite Vorherige  1, 2

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde