Classic Monsters Forum

Der Treffpunkt für den Phantastischen Modellbau

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde

Aktuelle Zeit: 22.01.2018, 07:37

Ein neues Thema erstellen Auf das Thema antworten  [ 30 Beiträge ]  Gehe zu Seite 1, 2  Nächste
Autor Nachricht
 Betreff des Beitrags: Frazetta "Snow Giants" from RAS WIP by Alex Castro
BeitragVerfasst: 06.11.2007, 18:39 
Monster-Lehrling

Hi,

The Snow Giants from ReelArt Studios arrived well packaged. One is immediately impressed by the quality and the scale (1/8 -1/9), as well as how faithful it is to the original Frazetta Snow Giants painting.

Then why repaint?

Well there are probably as many reasons to re-paint as there are collectors . Here are just a few:

For some collectors a factory paint job just won't do no matter how well the piece is painted. Some collectors collect for literary reasons and feel that although a particular piece may be true to the painting it's not true to the book. Other feel that the factory is just not going to spend the time to paint the details. Others want to upgrade the quality so they focus in on surface imperfections, the line work,the accuracy of the colors to the original, detail work like the eyes, or want the ground work more realistic. Some collectors would prefer a one-of-a kind piece signed by a paint master than a stock piece, which may increase its value.

Stay tune as I embark on the wonderful re-paint of the Frazetta "Snow Giants" from ReelArt Studios.

Stay tuned,

Alex(Trismegistus)

Frazetta "Snow Giants"

Bild

Please note that while I'm repainting the piece, I will be showing a comparison with the factory job. This is no way means that I'm undermining the factory's work. I will be illustrating my style and details that go into a repaint.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 06.11.2007, 19:04 
The Monster

Hello,

love this Frazetta Snow Giants Diorama. :wink:

Greetings Bernd

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 06.11.2007, 20:20 
Monster-Mythos

As I first saw those magnificent sculptures, I was blown away! Sadly, I didn´t find a pic with the finished ones, so I cannot wait to see what you will do with them! And YES, please compare them in pics, that will be great!

Frank

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 07.11.2007, 03:47 
Monster-Lehrling

Thanks Everyone,

The Snow Giants are one of Frazetta's classics. My collector's only request was for me to unleash my talents on his collection and I plan on doing just!

The Giant holding his neck, is in my opinion, the center piece. My work in progress will focus on him and the ground work. In this case the snow effect. In fact, I plan on showing the snow take on a more softer texture and creating the splash effect in the original painting.

[color="Purple"][font="Times New Roman"]Frazetta's "Snow Giants"[/font][/color]

Bild.
In the factory version from ReelArt Studios, the eyes are just a hole on this piece. I'll fill in the eyes and paint them in.

BildBildBild

Silver Primed Krylon 1401 ---------------------------- White Primed Tamiya Flat white FX-2 ---------------------------------------Tamiya Flat Flesh FX-15. Note the eyes are filled in.

Please note that while I'm repainting the piece, I will be showing a comparison with the factory job. This is no way means that I'm undermining the factory's work. I will be illustrating my style and details that go into a repaint.

Frazetta's "Snow Giants" 1/8 -1/9 scale resin from ReelArts Studios, Work in progress by Alex Castro , Private Collector

Zuletzt geändert von Elia Cid am 12.11.2007, 22:59, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 07.11.2007, 03:56 
Monster-Lehrling

[SIZE="6"][COLOR="Purple"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Frazetta's "Snow Giants"[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Bild

A word on basic painting and coverage: At every level of painting on this piece I use the hand brush to outline the hard to reach areas. This prevents sitting on these areas with the silver spray can or the airbrush. Another point is that on the base color level, I apply the paint thicker and sometimes incorporate vinyl plaster to fill in minor imperfections that I may have missed.

BildBild

Stay tuned for gray tone or ghost tones used to regulate color temperature; how and where to suggest blood at the lower extremities; bring out bone structure; painting veins,
painting the face; character development and much more.

Thanks for looking.
Alex

Frazetta's "Snow Giants" 1/8 -1/9 scale resin from ReelArts Studios, Work in progress by Alex Castro , Private Collector

Zuletzt geändert von Elia Cid am 12.11.2007, 22:59, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 07.11.2007, 03:57 
Monster-Lehrling

Remove ,
Please disable this post it’s a repeat .
Thanks
Alex

Zuletzt geändert von Elia Cid am 07.11.2007, 12:34, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 07.11.2007, 08:46 
Monster-Mythos

:shock: thank you for the pics . wkr stefan

Betreff des Beitrags: The wounded giant .
BeitragVerfasst: 07.11.2007, 12:22 
Monster-Lehrling

Hi everyone ,

The wounded giant presented a few issues. One was the color of the hair. The pumpkin orange-red like color is not an easy mix.
Interestedly enough, I found the base color in Wal-Mart. I added Tamiya Flat Red XF-7 to some parts of the beard and high lighted it with Flat yellow XF-3. I will give it a few mores washes and some more highlights.

Another challenging areas were the eyes since I wanted to achieve the eye popping look--"I've just been killed." The helmet will be painted last.
I base coated with Tamiya FX 19- Gun Metal the armor and earrings. It still needs to be highlighted and weathered.

A note in general on figure painting here I think would be in order: I paint figures starting in the order we get dressed because it's easier to paint working your way out. I don't paint all the figures at the same time since I use it as a point of reference, to compare and to visualize. I try not to finish any one part off because I like to keep the whole figure fluid and not lock myself in on a particular part but gradually see it evolving as as a whole, achieving a balanced image.

Once I complete the wounded Giant I will resume work on Natala from "Conan the Barbarian."

Stay tuned.

Thanks,
Alex (Trismegistus)

[FONT="Times New Roman"][SIZE="6"] [COLOR="Purple"]Frazetta's "Snow Giants"[/COLOR] [/SIZE][/FONT]

Bild
Note I plan on given the hair and beard a few more washes and some more highlights,to tone-down the orange and bring out more hair detail

Bild Bild
The right pictures is the actual painting. The left picture is the WIP.

Zuletzt geändert von Elia Cid am 12.11.2007, 23:00, insgesamt 4-mal geändert.

Betreff des Beitrags: The concept of emergence.
BeitragVerfasst: 07.11.2007, 12:24 
Monster-Lehrling

Thank you all,
The concept of emergence is accomplished by blocking out all the base colors then applying an integrator over the base colors and finally restoring the base colors plus the integrator to their original tone values as illustrated in this example, I use a soot color mixture of Tamyia FX-1 Flat black and FX-10 Flat brown leaning to the brown end as the integrator .

Everything was toned down to merge to be later reinstated.

In the next posting I will turn up the lights sort of speaking and restore some of the tone values .

Enjoy,

Alex (Trismegistus)

P.S. Later on I will be discussing the essence on the line or "Line Work".

Frazetta's "Snow Giants"
Bild

Zuletzt geändert von Elia Cid am 12.11.2007, 23:01, insgesamt 4-mal geändert.

Betreff des Beitrags: The base colors to reinstate.
BeitragVerfasst: 07.11.2007, 12:25 
Monster-Lehrling

Hi All,

Yesterday, I talked about the concept of emergence: "The concept of emergence is accomplished by blocking out all the base colors then applying an integrator over the base colors and finally restoring the base colors plus the integrator to their original tone values as illustrated in this example. I used a soot color mixture of Tamyia FX-1 Flat black and FX-10 Flat brown leaning towards the brown as the integrator. Then I dry stroke the base colors to reinstate, adding highlights as needed. "

In this final series of pictures, I lighten everything up a bit to reinstate tone value so that it looks integrated. If you look carefully at my line work, I avoid the hard lines and work very hard to achieve a soft line throughout my work that gives my style of painting the soft appearance. Nothing is more telling then poor line work on a piece and in my opinion is what distinguishes a great looking figure from a poor. Now, I need to paint the dagger and the ax and touch up the back.

I will be posting a paragraph on the essence of the line call "the Devils in the line" from by Book The Art of Painting Miniatures : Faces & Figures, on my Website for those of you who are interested.

I will take a short break and start on the Conan the Barbarian piece and get Natala painted up!

Enjoy,

Alex (Trismegistus)

[color="indigo"]Frazetta's "Snow Giants" [/color]
Bild Bild Bild
Gun metal base coat Tamiya FX-10. Soot over the Gun metal integrator. Reinstated Gun Metal and Kylyon Silver to bring out some highlights.

Bild
Note the ground work needs to be completed. I will be painting the snow and using artificial snow. I will also be adding snow splattering around the feet.

Zuletzt geändert von Elia Cid am 12.11.2007, 23:02, insgesamt 7-mal geändert.

Betreff des Beitrags: My goal is to capture this visual drama in 3D!
BeitragVerfasst: 07.11.2007, 12:26 
Monster-Lehrling

Thanks everyone,
My little friend below is next, in this visual drama of life and death on a snowy peak, masterfully painted by Frazetta.
I must also say that this is one of my personal favorites by Tony Cipriano. Every piece is just excellently done in my opinion.

The moment I add this fellow to the base, the dynamics dramatically change visually from effect to cause. My goal is to capture this visual drama in 3D!

Enjoy,

Alex (Trismegistus)

Frazetta's "Snow Giants"

Bild
Scale picture of silver primed piece. Note white touch-up areas.

Bild
The swing and the "he's got me" look of the giant!

Bild

Here he's bracing himself for the blow to come from the other giant not included yet.Note the differences in size between the two , scale 1/9- 1/8.

Note the ground work needs to be completed. I will be painting the snow and using artificial snow. I will also be adding snow splattering around the feet.

Frazetta's "Snow Giants" 1/8 -1/9 scale resin from ReelArts Studios, Sculpted by Tony Cipriano, Work in progress by Alex Castro , Private Collector

Betreff des Beitrags: Adding the Andrea artificial snow
BeitragVerfasst: 16.11.2007, 00:13 
Monster-Lehrling

Hi,

I added the Andrea artificial snow, which comes in small packages, on the base using Elmer's white glue with equal parts of water. I applied the water glue mixture where I want the glue to stick with a a hand brush, then I sprinkle the snow gently on that area. The approach I'm taking is to just go over the mostly white areas of the base and accent the snow on the figures and particularly around the legs so they don' look pegged in.

Mostly anything that can make contact with the snow gets a little snow. If it were not that I was being faithful to the original painting, I would have added snow to the mustache and a little to the beard. You can also cake this on layer after layer, but you must let each layer dry first. Once the piece is totally finished, I airbrush the snow for warm tone accents, toning the white down a little and bringing it in line with the painting as well.

Enjoy,

Alex (Trismegistus)

Frazetta's "Snow Giants"

BildBildBild
Please note that the dagger, ax, and blood on the snow are not done yet. I just like to jump around a lot with the composition.
I also decided to leave out the spattering since it did not look natural.

Tip: use a glass table or something to collect and reuse the excess snow, since you only get a small amount. The snow is expensive and not every one carries it.

Bild
Note the effect of leaving the nice orignal base colors and just touching the base up a little with the snow.

Frazetta's "Snow Giants" 1/8 -1/9 scale resin from ReelArts Studios, Sculpted by Tony Cipriano, Work in progress by Alex Castro , Private Collector

Betreff des Beitrags: Frazetta's "Snow Giants" Conan.
BeitragVerfasst: 10.12.2007, 04:24 
Monster-Lehrling

Hi Everyone,

This is my third Conan. I have a feeling it's not going to be my last since I'm commissioned to paint Conan the Conqueror -Berserker.

As you can see he has the famous lightening scar and the signature cut over his nose. As you all know, I leave the eyes for last on the face. Tony Cipriano really did an excellent job sculpturing in the character. I'm thinking of putting some hair on his chest and arm pits. I just can't see him shaving his arm pits!

Stay tuned ,

Enjoy,

Alex (Trismegistus)

Frazetta's "Snow Giants"
Bild
In this close-up look at the character and intensity as he presses his chin down in anticipation of the oncoming blow, as depicted in Frazetta's Snow Giant drama.

BildBild
Tony also captured a thing I call "The Anatomy of Motion " which is the ability to give a static piece the illusion of motion.
See pictures above.

Bild
In this full view you can see I decided to remove the shield and arm for easier access to the face and body on that side.
Note, that I'm outlining all the edges and strap work. Next, I will finish outlining the straps and the lower part of his body, Then the eyes will follow.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 10.12.2007, 08:08 
Monster-Mythos

:roll: great .wkr stefan

Betreff des Beitrags: I just gave Conan eyes and hair !
BeitragVerfasst: 13.12.2007, 15:55 
Monster-Lehrling

stefan bours hat geschrieben:
:roll: great .wkr stefan

-Stefan, thanks !!

I just gave Conan eyes. Note the sinister stare. I want him to look rough and mean, a brawler.That being said, I didn't think that a guy like this would wax his chest, so I included hair on his arm pits, the upper and lower chest and around his nipples! Hair can be quite intimidating to beginners as well as advanced painters who often time shy away the dreaded hair issue.

For painting hair on the body (not the head ), I use the back stroke. With the hand brush starting from the edges, I work my way back. as I go back, the paint is applied darker, leaving the edges lighter. I use a system of opposition. For example to paint the male chest, I first paint in acrylics and then dull coat it to protect it. Then I paint the hairs in quick short strokes in oils. The oils can be easily wiped of if you don't like the results and start over again!

At this stage I will spend time tweaking and analyzing the figure. The key here is to develop a relationship with the imagery and a visual conversation with figure. In other words, if you look hard enough the piece will often time tell you what it needs! This is what makes the difference between a well painted figure and one that vibrates with life.

Enjoy,

Alex (Trismegistus)

Frazetta's "Snow Giants"

Bild
Note the sinister stare. Also note the hair on the chest, around the nipples as well as the arm pits. Applying hair needs to be done in stages, very modestly.

Bild

You can start to see the effect of the line work previously done on the chest, straps and belt.
Also note how the hair effect adds an element of texture and realism to the skin.

Bild

In my style of painting every step or part must look great along the way to completion. In fact, every part should be good enough to be framed and exhibited.

Bild

Ein neues Thema erstellen Auf das Thema antworten  [ 30 Beiträge ]  Gehe zu Seite 1, 2  Nächste

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde