Classic Monsters Forum

Der Treffpunkt für den Phantastischen Modellbau

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde

Aktuelle Zeit: 22.01.2018, 07:37

Ein neues Thema erstellen Auf das Thema antworten  [ 17 Beiträge ]  Gehe zu Seite 1, 2  Nächste
Autor Nachricht
 Betreff des Beitrags: "Conan the Barbarian" Nude version WIP by Alex Cas
BeitragVerfasst: 01.11.2007, 19:45 
Monster-Lehrling

Hi everyone,

I have decided to post this part separately as it belongs to a different collector and it’s going to be the green eyed, blond haired nude version, closer to the book version by Robert E. Howard then Frazetta painting of ” Conan the Barbarian”, It will also not be a repeat of the whole Conan WIP mostly the female nude parts.

Thanks again,

Alex (Trismegistus)

The process of prepping:

When I prep the piece, I first take off any piece that can be removed. This makes it easier for priming and painting. For this piece, I removed the ax handle, the scabbard chains, and dagger. Then I check the piece and fix any imperfections that are observable prior to silver priming. Once the piece is slivered, I review the piece again going after any imperfections that are observed on the surface or below the surface since each requires a different approach to fix. To obtain a smooth skin, I wet sand the finest emery paper. This is particularly important for the female anatomy since it must be visually flawless.

In reference to the sword, since it's made of actual metal, I decided to touch it up and accent it rather than simply priming over it. If you look carefully, I used brush-on liquid rubber latex to protect the sword. Once I finish painting, I can just peal it off.

Also during the prepping, I go over the hair strand by strand looking for imperfections.

Please note I taped the ribs for two reasons. First, the tape makes then stronger. Secondy, the ribs blend in. When I tape them I can see them better, which prevents brerakage.

Frazetta's "Conan the Barbarian" Nude version
Bild

1/7th cold cast porcelain resin sculpted by Clayburn Moore ,from CS Moore Studio's, Work in progress by Alex Castro , Private Collector

Zuletzt geändert von Elia Cid am 02.11.2007, 18:23, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 01.11.2007, 19:51 
Monster-Mythos

great i am waiting for new pics . wkr stefan

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 02.11.2007, 06:17 
The Monster

hi alex,

this is the best version :wink:
thanks for sharing.

bernd

Betreff des Beitrags: Softness and Sensitivity
BeitragVerfasst: 02.11.2007, 18:07 
Monster-Lehrling

Hi Bernd,

One of the things I left out is the issue off softness and sensitivity.This is particularly important when painting large areas of flesh /Skin for both male and female. I paint the male figure with a soft but strong solid texture emphasizing the muscle mass. With the female figure the focus is on the soft buttery texture and continuous contours. We could say as in this example that visually the skin on the male is more segmented and the skin on the female is more continuous.

I will be discussing tone and mass, the handling of the lower extremities, and how this is executed on figures /Statues.

Thanks ,

Alex(Trismegistus)

Frank Frazetta’s “Conan the Barbarian "
Bild Bild
1/7th cold cast porcelain resin sculpted by Clayburn Moore ,from CS Moore Studio’s, Work in progress by Alex Castro , Private Collection of Darrin Hinze

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 04.11.2007, 19:36 
Monster-Mythos

Maybe I have overlooked it, but is there a difference in the sculpting of the female figure? You are here painting the nude version. Does that mean, all her breast plates on the other sculpt are not sculpted but painted by you, or are they "add ons" which use belongs to the sculptor?

And what interests me most: Are you going to give her the same mix of flesh colours or are you going a bit paler? I would really like to see a paler type of women for contrast!

Frank

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 04.11.2007, 21:19 
Monster-Lehrling

Frank hat geschrieben:
Maybe I have overlooked it, but is there a difference in the sculpting of the female figure? You are here painting the nude version. Does that mean, all her breast plates on the other sculpt are not sculpted but painted by you, or are they "add ons" which use belongs to the sculptor?

And what interests me most: Are you going to give her the same mix of flesh colours or are you going a bit paler? I would really like to see a paler type of women for contrast!

Frank

Frank, the breast plates are sculptured in. They are not add ons. The nude version has the nipples sculptured in. I'm not sure of her colours yet, but she will be blonde, following more in line of Robert E Howards book version.

Betreff des Beitrags: Saturation, Isolation, and Containment.
BeitragVerfasst: 05.11.2007, 18:55 
Monster-Lehrling

My dear friends ,

I paint comfortably with oils as with acrylics. My training in the fine arts was mostly with oils. For figures and stautes,I primarily use acrylics for speed and for the use of airbrush,enamels for precious metals .
However, for certain applications and for brilliance I always reach for the oils.

The concept I go by is Saturation, Isolation, and Containment.

First, I saturate the base and everything on it, up to Conan's boots with Burnt Sienna & Raw Umber oils in a diluted form (use thinner to dilute). Once dry, I then will Isolate the things around the base like the female , the skull, hand ,ax, etc. Finally I contain the details on each of these items .

This approach to painting miniatures produces an integrated look, where things seem to emerge rather than appear separate (cut out look).

The female (Natala) and skull, at this point, has been painted with the same colors (Burnt Sienna & Raw Umber oils) as the base.

Then I simply wipe off the color with paper towels and Q-tips for hard to reach areas. Again, the point here is to achieve integration within the base, keeping mind my golden rule that" Effect trumps technique." In other words, no matter what the technique is, it is worthless if it doesn't achieve the visual effect desired.

Once the base is dry, I will then paint the ribs, hand and other things like bringing out the rocks. Then I'll add a little gray mixed in with green as an accent and move on.

Now for Natala!

Stay tuned,,

Alex(Trismegistus)

Bild

1/7th cold cast porcelain resin sculpted by Clayburn Moore ,from CS Moore Studio's, Work in progress by Alex Castro , Private Collector

Betreff des Beitrags: Natala ,WIP by Alex Castro , Nude subject matter !
BeitragVerfasst: 15.11.2007, 02:10 
Monster-Lehrling

Hi everyone,

Update on how Natala is moving along; the female anatomy in miniatures must demonstrate softness in my opinion with as few interruptions on the skin as possible.

Bye the way almost no browns were used on her skin,a touch of brown was used on the darker lines and a bit it on the nipple there are other ways to paint the skin then by toning or shadowing with browns.

Enjoy,

Alex(Trismegistus)

[color="olive"]Frazetta's "Conan the Barbarian" Nude version[/color]

Bild
Tip: I often paint the lips when no make-up is applied the same color as nipples on some females!

Bild
Note the buttery appearance of softness thru-out the female form.

Bild
Scale picture note penny .

Please note that noting is finished in these WIP examples.

Betreff des Beitrags: This is Natala as depicted by Robert E. Howard
BeitragVerfasst: 23.11.2007, 15:59 
Monster-Lehrling

Hi everyone,

This is Natala as depicted by Robert E. Howard , blond , green eyes, no lipstick, no blush, or make-up of any sort. I still have to tweak her up a little more like adding hair on her shoulder and finishing the rest of the hair around her and dirtying her up a bit.

I'm taking my time, letting her evolve to the point that she'll say stop!

I hope you like her as much as I do.

Thanks for your kind words,

Alex (Trismegistus)

Frazetta's "Conan the Barbarian" Nude Version
[Bild

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 23.11.2007, 20:39 
Monster-Experte

WOW, that's great stuff!
The face looks so real. :shock:
Cheers Torsten

Betreff des Beitrags: Meet Conan
BeitragVerfasst: 05.12.2007, 18:37 
Monster-Lehrling

This is the 2nd Conan I painted this year. The main difference is that the girl is nude in this version. I'm at the stage of muscle toning and development, as well as facial character development. Note that Conan has no eyes yet.

In my style of painting the face must carry its own weight and express character and emotion even without the eyes. The eyes focus the facial energy and give it direction in my opinion.

Enjoy.

Alex (Trismegistus)

P.S. The Frazetta,News website has been updated and as I mention before, includes my painting services. http://www.frazettaartgallery.com/ff/news/HTML/index.html

Bild

Bild

Betreff des Beitrags: Conan a portrait, WIP by Alex Castro
BeitragVerfasst: 03.01.2008, 17:47 
Monster-Lehrling

Hi everyone,

The Face:
In painting Conan's face I wanted to achieve a cold intense stir with eagle looking eyes, his eye are blue but have a green look to them due to the gray and flesh area around the cornea of eyes but they are blue as in the book, I still my tweak his face I little more! I userliy I feel the face is done when it looks like I can engage it in a conversation, doe Conan doesn't look like much of a talker.

The Necklace/Earrings:
it's interesting to not the little red jewel on the necklace, I didn't want to paint the claws in the typical brown and ivory, so I made mines with ivory gray and black.
the earrings are first done in copper and just the highlight is done in gold the rest is left in copper for shadowing and toning affect.

The Body:
I always shy away form all brown toning you can't regulate body temperature with just one color for toning I also wanted to achieve a skin tone that would look great under different lighting conditions see example below , the only thing changed was the lightening source!
I added a little hair on his chest and nipple , to break up the smooth body builder look and and a little texture the the skin.

Enjoy,

Alex(Trismegistus)

P.S. Please note this is a work in progress and everything is subject to change and modifications till done.

Bild
Close-Up , Note the intense stir and character this piece has note the color and detail the hair has.

Bild Bild
The source, color and intensity of light can have a dramatic effect on pieces skin tone.

Bild
Close-up of head and chest are .note hair on chest it adds an interesting touch an texture to the piece in my opinion.

1/7th cold cast porcelain resin sculpted by Clayburn Moore, from CS Moore Studio's, Work in progress by Alex Castro. Private Collector

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 03.01.2008, 18:38 
Monster-Mythos

Alex, if you are showing more of this unbeatable stuff, I will get an heart attack! It is always a new adventure to watch your skills taking shape again, and the subtle differences between the Conans are much enjoyable! And for the Lady, what to say more! The skin tones are the best I have ever seen, and the quality of the painting is beyond believe.

Let me add a comment: I would REALLY love to see how you would paint an Alien, or more, a Zombie (as seen in various paintings from fantasy artists). Let me say, that your work on these top notch sculptures is true beautyness, but how would you tackle figures which represent ugly and rotten things?

Nevertheless, absolute stunning, and I will add the Frazettas Site to our Linksection.

All the best,

Frank

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 03.01.2008, 19:00 
Monster-Mythos

:shock: :shock: .wkr stefan

Betreff des Beitrags: Update on "Conan the Barbarian" WIP by Alex Castro
BeitragVerfasst: 12.01.2008, 04:03 
Monster-Lehrling

Hi all,

I wanted to take this opportunity to bring you an update on "Conan the Barbarian." One of the things I wanted to establish is a relationship between the two pieces, Conan and the girl. My techniques bring out their connectivity. I wanted to keep Conan as the dark foreboding figure and at the same time balance him with the soft sexuality, like a beauty and the beast. I won't be getting into any of the techniques like the skin tones since I will write this in the article but just wanted to give to my viewers and fans a sense of where I'm going.

I took a top down approach. As I finish Conan I've worked my way down to the sword. The sword is in its basic original metal form without painting. The sword was covered up with latex throughout my painting of Conan. I will leave the sword "as is" because the hilt is brass and the sword is shiny silver metal. I will just accent it, weather it a little and put some blood on it.

The areas that you see taped, are taped for two reasons. One is to make me conscious that they are there and the 2nd is to protect them from accidental breakage. For example, the tape around the girl's legs is to prevent the piece from chipping. Also note that the dagger, the ax handle and scabbard are missing and need to be completed.

My main focus now will be working on the base and finishing the piece. This piece will be presented on a marble base, which is seated on a wooden base provided by CS Moore's Studios.

Enjoy,

Alex (Trismegistus)

P.S. Please note this is a work in progress and everything is subject to change and modifications till done

Bild
Note on this close-up, it’s a little glary but in my opinion it captured
the relationship I was after.

Bild

Note the bear metal sword and the masked off areas and her hand on his leg!

Bild

1/7th cold cast porcelain resin sculpted by Clayburn Moore, from CS Moore Studio's, Work in progress by Alex Castro. Private Collector

Ein neues Thema erstellen Auf das Thema antworten  [ 17 Beiträge ]  Gehe zu Seite 1, 2  Nächste

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde