Classic Monsters Forum

Der Treffpunkt für den Phantastischen Modellbau

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde

Aktuelle Zeit: 23.01.2018, 15:14

Ein neues Thema erstellen Auf das Thema antworten  [ 57 Beiträge ]  Gehe zu Seite Vorherige  1, 2, 3, 4  Nächste
Autor Nachricht
 Betreff des Beitrags: Let’s get started….
BeitragVerfasst: 05.09.2007, 09:12 
Monster-Lehrling

Hi all,
The statue arrived today. It was well packaged, however, there was one minor mishap, the scabbard broke. It was a clean break and easily repairable.
The piece overall is extremely well sculpted and in my opinion, had one of the better factory paint jobs that I’ve seen. My hat goes off to the Moors. The statue comes with a wooden base that is a nicely finished with a brass plaque.

Frank Frazetta’s “Conan the Barbarian "

Bild Bild
Picture of full piece with factory paint job. Note Clayburn Moore signature and information at the bottom of base
1/7th cold cast porcelain resin sculpted by Clayburn Moore ,from CS Moore Studio’s, Work in progress by Alex Castro , Private Collection of Darrin Hinze

Let’s get started….
The main difference between model kits and statues is that statues, most of the time, are one solid piece. Here lies the problem. You have to work around the statue, whereas with a kit you can custom tailor your approach and decide what parts you are going to assemble first and in what order, making the paint job a lot easier. On the other hand, statues can have multiple images, and they are weighty. Also some may have things sticking out that can easily brake off so even handling and positioning the statue is a challenge.

Bild
In this picture the arm and ax handle have been pinned.Notice that some paint still needs to me removed from the base.Not a pleasant job with acetone.
1/7th cold cast porcelain resin sculpted by Clayburn Moore ,from CS Moore Studio’s, Work in progress by Alex Castro , Private Collection of Darrin Hinze

Structurally, several issues became immediately apparent with this statue: the piece is signed and has information on the bottom of the base that has to be protected; the scabbard and dagger have to come off without damaging the figure, the handle of the ax and the female’s arm had to be removed. Please note that this is not recommended for anyone who is not skilled in re-paints.

Bild
Close-up resin body, paint removed with acetone .

My paint strategy will start with carefully covering the bottom of the base. Then I will remove the paint. This will be followed by my two-part priming technique that I developed. Once primed, I will then paint Conan. This will be followed by the ground work and finally the female figure.
I will be discussing each of these sections separately.

Thank you all for following along and stay tune for an adventure in seeing the statue come alive!

Stay tuned.

Alex (Trismegistus)

Betreff des Beitrags: The Silvering Process by Alex Castro
BeitragVerfasst: 05.09.2007, 13:44 
Monster-Lehrling

The Silvering Process is part of my two-step priming system I evolved over the years.
The problem with most primers is that they are actually out of scale for miniatures and statue painting. These primers causes painters to be at a disadvantage right from the start by covering fine details and clogging up the relief. In addition, these primers only come in certain colors

Bild
Close-up on the silver priming.

The silver, on the other hand, covers any color and any material regardless of what it's made of. It also dries quickly. The silver is extremely fine on a molecular level and in most cases a little dusting is all that the statue/model will require. The silver also provides a ground for the second part of the priming system. For this I use a white acrylic but you can use any color acrylic. It is important to note that since the primer is enamel you can wipe off the white primer without affecting the silver layer below. Another value to the silvering is that it can be brushed on or sprayed on. It can easily be repaired, removed and blended back. Lastly, once sprayed, it reveals the imperfections on surfaces as well.

Bild
Full view of the silver priming.

To apply the silver, I first spray some on a piece of paper, then with a hand brush I go over all the hard to get areas and line work. I use the can to spray a final coat.

Note, the down side of this silver is that you must use a vent box or a well ventilated area. It is also a brush killer. I recommend that you set aside brushes that you will only use for silvering.

Enjoy,

Alex (Trismegistus)

Betreff des Beitrags: White lining
BeitragVerfasst: 06.09.2007, 15:38 
Monster-Lehrling

Hi everyone,

White lining :

White lining is a part of my paint system that serves two very important purposes: one is to cover up tiny air holes and any minor scratches or imperfections and the second is to blend lines and prep hard to get areas so as not to over saturate with the airbrush.

Note, this is not for major repairs or large holes. This is mostly for minor repairs and to assist in the transition of the next step, which in this case is acrylic white. Although I call this white lining, the liner should be the color of your primer because it needs to blend with the primer. The formula I use is made up of one part acrylic paint, one part vinyl spackle and a little clear alcohol.

As we move along you will notice that every step I present to you is part of a integrated painting system designed to achieve great results.

Enjoy,

Alex (Trismegistus)

Bild Bild
Note in this picture the areas I’m applying the white-lining .one part acrylic paint, one part vinyl spackle and a little clear alcohol.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 06.09.2007, 18:11 
Monster-Mythos

I am very surprised about your system, Dude! I looks quite "strange" (to undercoat a figure in silver is very unique!) and I cannot wait to learn more about it. (I am a "little bit" familiar with this, ´cause of your first book).

Frank

Betreff des Beitrags: that the priming has been completed
BeitragVerfasst: 06.09.2007, 21:27 
Monster-Lehrling

Now that the priming has been completed, I use acrylic paint Tamyia Flat white. I take a brand new paint jar and fill it to the top with clear alcohol. Shake the jar well. Then I apply the paint with the airbrush, gently, one layer at a time (dusting),

I then wash the statue with in running cold water with a large bristle brush. I do this after I apply the paint. I dry off the figure with paper towels and pressured air from an air brush. I call this this washing of the figure the smoothing process which takes off the acrylic dust and smoothes the figures.

Bild
Picture of IWATA airbrush (HP-BE1)I use for priming and the Acrylic Tamiya XF-2 Flat White used .

I then wash the statue with in running cold water with a large bristle brush. I do this after I apply the paint. I dry off the figure with paper towels and pressured air from an air brush. I call this this washing of the figure the smoothing process which takes off the acrylic dust and smoothes the figures.

I keep tweezers. a hobby knife, a small brush and an extra fine sand paper handy in the event I spot any perfection or hairs. Airbrushes sometimes splatter paint as well. Once it passes my visual inspection, I physically feel the piece for smoothness to esnure that there are no rough spots.

Frazetta’s “Conan the Barbarian "

BildBild

Note, the anatomy, in my opinion, must be flawless, particularly on the females or figures that have a larger areas of exposed skin.

Now the canvas is ready for painting.

My painting Motto is Saturation, Isolation, Containment .I will explain this as we start the painting sessions.

Stay tuned,

Alex (Trismegistus)

Betreff des Beitrags: The anatomy is still not finished
BeitragVerfasst: 07.09.2007, 10:24 
Monster-Lehrling

Hi All,
The anatomy is still not finished and his face is still undone but I just wanted to show you where I going with it.
Thank you for watching.

Stay Tuned

Alex (Trismegistus)

Bild

Zuletzt geändert von Elia Cid am 07.09.2007, 19:49, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 07.09.2007, 11:18 
Monster-Mythos

I can really "feel" the smooth and cold material surface of the sculpture now. It must feel very good and I guess, it is the best surface for the following painting process.

Do you use only the Airbrush, or do you paint with brushes as well? And what brand of colours will you use??

Frank

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 07.09.2007, 11:27 
Monster-Lehrling

Frank hat geschrieben:
I can really "feel" the smooth and cold material surface of the sculpture now. It must feel very good and I guess, it is the best surface for the following painting process.

Do you use only the Airbrush, or do you paint with brushes as well? And what brand of colours will you use??

Frank

Frank,
I’m glad you like it, Frank I use IWATA airbrushes and I do use hand brushes as well the Winsor & Newton Number 7 series kolinsky sables , as for paints I use different brands enamel and acrylic ,But mostly acrylic TAMIYA brand .

Hope this helped,

Alex (Trismegistus)

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 07.09.2007, 13:40 
Monster-Mythos

Tamiya Paint, interesting., ´cause I am not quite satisfied with this acrylic paint. I use Vallejo, LifeColor and Inks for special effects.

But I does not use an Airbrush, because I only paint up to 120mm, mostly 54mm and 28mm Figures.

I am very interested in your skin mixing ratio!

Frank

Betreff des Beitrags: Frazetta's Barbarian
BeitragVerfasst: 07.09.2007, 16:10 
Monster-Baby

Alex, This statue is looking great! I would love to come over and see your studio. Let me know a good time and date. I'm planning a trip to Frank's museum soon also.

Joe

Betreff des Beitrags: Simply enjoy!
BeitragVerfasst: 07.09.2007, 19:50 
Monster-Lehrling

Hi everyone,

Simply enjoy!

Thanks

Alex (Trismegistus)

Bild

Betreff des Beitrags: Say hello to Conan.
BeitragVerfasst: 08.09.2007, 21:46 
Monster-Lehrling

Hi,

Say hello to Conan. He's basically done except for the garment, jewelry, boots, dagger and scabbard. Note the difference subtle lighting can have on his expression. I hope you can see the little clear hair spot on top of his head. See the smoothness in the muscle tone, muscle mass and muscle tension. I will be placing a little hair on his chest and arms. Also note how the hair picks up the light.

By the way Darrin, he has blue eyes, as Robert E. Howard described in his novel.

Stay tuned for the female after I get some work done for Reelart Studios that has been patiently waiting.

Enjoy,

Alex (Trismegistus)

Frazetta's "Conan the Barbarian "

Bild

Note how the difference subtle lighting can have on his expression.

Bild

Bild
Note the blue eyes.

Bild
1/7th cold cast porcelain resin sculpted by Clayburn Moore ,from CS Moore Studio's, Work in progress by Alex Castro , Private Collection of Darrin Hinze

Betreff des Beitrags: Meeting with Frank Frazetta, Sr.
BeitragVerfasst: 10.09.2007, 15:38 
Monster-Lehrling

Hi ALL,,

Yesterday, I meet with Frank Frazetta, Sr. Whom I consider a "living legend." We had a great time talking as we went over some of my latest paint-ups including WIP "Conan The Barbarian", which he enjoyed seeing as well as pictures of the "Egyptian Queen" from ReelArt Studios, which he said "was beautiful." Frank particularly liked the way I handled the leopard. For me, it's a great honor to meet with the Master.

Regards

Alex (Trismegistus)

Bild

Betreff des Beitrags: Here she is
BeitragVerfasst: 13.09.2007, 14:07 
Monster-Lehrling

Hi everyone,

Here she is I hope you all like her, she is my semi naked Maja and Venus De Milo all wrapped up in one.

In these close ups I gave her green eyes to make her look more exotic and her hair in her face as in the original painting I didn’t want her to look clean cut but a little on the wild side or barbaric but more importantly I wanted her to provoke passion !

Enjoy

Alex (Trismegistus)

Frazetta's "Conan the Barbarian "

Bild

Bild

Bild

1/7th cold cast porcelain resin sculpted by Clayburn Moore ,from CS Moore Studio's, Work in progress by Alex Castro , Private Collection of Darrin Hinze

Zuletzt geändert von Elia Cid am 13.09.2007, 16:50, insgesamt 2-mal geändert.

Betreff des Beitrags:
BeitragVerfasst: 13.09.2007, 16:41 
Monster-Mythos

The Fleshtones really blow me away! The Conan Figure is exceptional of it´s own, but the woman is beyond belief... The mixing of the colours, and the art of shading... cannot believe it, the pic of her face looks like a drawing, it is fantastic!

You use for the main colours and shadings an Airbrush? But when it is so, it does not look so, in an absolute positiv way!

Show more please!

frank

Ein neues Thema erstellen Auf das Thema antworten  [ 57 Beiträge ]  Gehe zu Seite Vorherige  1, 2, 3, 4  Nächste

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde